HOWARD S. HOFFMANN, Managing Partner of De Novo Perspectives, is a senior executive with 35 years of financial, operational and general management experience in a wide range of industries.
He has extensive experience in financial and operational restructurings and acquisition integration, creditor and government negotiations, litigation management (single plaintiff, class action and government), tax law, leasing, trade financing, cash management and control, inventory management, accounting, production, distribution, IT, product and brand management, the development and implementation of growth strategies and the fostering of high performing cultures, both domestically and internationally.
His industry experience includes healthcare, transportation, logistics, computer hardware and software products and services, wireless communications, network infrastructure products and services, financial services, retail, consumer products (snack foods and personal-care products), fresh and processed meats, apparel, wholesale beverages and steel.
Serving as Interim CEO, Chief Integration Officer and Co-Executive Chairman of United Vision Logistics, the largest provider of transportation and logistics services to the U.S. energy industry, Howard led the integration and rebranding of the four legacy companies comprising United Vision and the expansion effort to service the emerging shale markets. He spearheaded the company’s design and implementation of a new transportation management system, established pricing discipline and upgraded the senior management team.
As interim CEO of MedQuist, Inc., a publicly traded company that was the world’s largest provider of medical transcription products and outsource services, Howard managed the successful resolution of multiple class action lawsuits and federal government investigations related to a purported billing issue. He re-established the company as timely and SOX compliant filer of its SEC reporting requirements after a four year hiatus, restructured operations to dramatically reduce overhead while simultaneously improving profitability and led a sale process which enabled the majority shareholder to liquidate its stake in the Company.
Howard’s other major assignments included:
- Engineering a successful operational restructuring of a global provider of technology training solutions as interim CEO.
- Serving as chief restructuring officer of a major Florida-based physician practice management, managed care and refractive surgery center company. He currently serves as a member of the Board of Directors of the restructured managed care operation.
- Leading a dramatic improvement in operating profitability, cash flow and shareholder value as interim COO of a family-owned consumer products company with operations in the U.S., Europe, Africa, South America and the Caribbean.
- Serving as interim CFO of an information technology firm operating in seven European countries in which he managed all financial aspects of the business following a consensual foreclosure by a syndicate of banks on the European operations and intellectual property rights of a U.S.-based public company.
- Leading the operational restructuring and development of a consensual plan of reorganization for an $800 million producer of fresh and processed meat products operating in Chapter 11.
- Overseeing the debt restructurings for a multi-plant manufacturer of tempered glass, a $1.0 billion steel company, a well-known major snack foods company, a publicly traded software and services company serving the auto insurance industry and one of the largest privately held marketing services concerns.
- Developing and implementing various financial control systems and procedures for both a 600-store specialty retail chain and an $800 million apparel manufacturer.
- Designing and implementing a purchasing and inventory management and control system for a leading multi-state wine and spirits distributor.
Earlier in his career, Howard served as principal and director of a privately held equipment leasing concern where he managed the tax-oriented leveraged leasing group. As Vice President of Corporate Lending at Bank of America, Howard was global account manager of companies ranging in size from startups to industry leaders primarily in the high-tech industry.
Howard earned a Bachelors of Arts degree in mathematics and economics from the University of California at Santa Barbara and an MBA from the Wharton Graduate Division of the University of Pennsylvania.